On the practical side, if you don’t already have a passport, today is a perfect day to apply for one! You’re probably thinking that you don’t really need a passport because you don’t have any international travel adventure planned. But a having a passport is not only cool, it makes sense.
1. A passport is the ultimate identification. It proves who you are around the world. Be proud of where you live and make it official!
2. A passport is for the long-term; it is valid for 10 years. Just think, the passport photo of you today will look fabulous a decade later!
3. It’s a ticket to the world. If you’re going anywhere outside the United States, you must have a valid passport. American citizens who travel between the US and Mexico and Canada are now required to present a valid passport.
4. Have you dreamed of cruising to Alaska? Many cruise lines originate or stop in Canada on the way, so your passport will make the voyage possible. Same for the Caribbean cruises that drop anchor in places like Jamaica, St Maarten, Grand Cayman, and Mexico.
5. You can go anywhere at any time. Let’s say you win the lottery and want to jet-set to Paris. There’s no waiting for the State Department to process the paperwork (typically 6-8 weeks). Plus, if you wait until the last minute, you’ll have to pay an extra service fee to expedite your application (and more on overnight delivery fees).
Ready to apply for a passport? Visit the U.S. Department of State
website to learn more.
There’s something about simply having my passport ready at a moment’s notice that makes me feel free and so cosmopolitan.
I’m ready to go anywhere.
( Photo Credit: Pixland / Pixland / Thinkstock 78635286
I’m a dreamer. In my mind, I’m a world traveler. Paris. London. Beijing. Bangkok. Africa. OK. I know that exotic international travel is not in my immediate future, but you never know. That’s why I have my passport ready … just in case my husband surprises me with a round-the-world vacation for our anniversary or I win a trip on Wheel of Fortune. I told you I was a dreamer.